What to Expect at your Regulatory Caseload Hearing

General Hearing Information

Do I appeal?

You received an agency notice that you disagree with. In most cases, you can appeal.

If you do not appeal it you will not be able to do anything about what the agency decided. For example, if you received a fine, you will have to pay the fine.

If you appeal a hearing will be scheduled with the Office of Administrative Hearings (OAH).

You may want to consult with legal counsel for help in deciding whether to appeal.

How do I appeal?

If you disagree with an agency notice, read it carefully. It has instructions on how to appeal. It is your responsibility to follow those instructions. If you do not, you may lose your right to appeal.

What is a hearing?

A hearing is when you get to present your case to the judge. The hearing will be either by phone, video, or in-person. The notice of hearing will tell you how to participate.

A person from the agency will attend the hearing. The agency will have a lawyer representing it. That person is called an Assistant Attorney General (AAG). If you choose to do so, you may hire a lawyer to represent you.

It is your responsibility to attend the hearing.

During the hearing you will tell your side of the case. You may have witnesses talk. The judge will discuss any documents you or the agency provide.

You must participate in the hearing. Otherwise, your case may be cancelled (dismissed).

How long will this take?

The appeal process may take several weeks to several months. It will begin with a prehearing conference on the phone. You will receive a Notice of Prehearing Conference (PHC) in the mail. The notice will tell you the time and date of the prehearing conference.

Sample Notice of Prehearing Conference

During the phone conference you will learn about other events that may take place before the hearing. You and the judge will schedule the hearing.

What if I have a disability and require an accommodation?

If you or any of your witnesses have a disability and require an accommodation to participate, contact OAH as soon as possible. You will need to tell OAH about how the disability affects the ability to participate and describe how we can help by accommodating the need so you can access our facilities and services.

Click Request Accommodation to request an accommodation or call OAH at 360-407-2700 or 800-583-8271.

What if I need an interpreter?

If you want an interpreter for yourself or your witness, click Request Interpreter or call OAH as soon as possible. The state will pay for the interpreter. Family members and friends cannot be your interpreter at the hearing.

For a free translation of OAH documents, call 360-407-2700 or 800-583-8271.

Do I need a lawyer?

You have the right to a lawyer at any point in the appeal process. The state will not pay for your lawyer. In most hearings, you may have a friend or family member represent you. Many people represent themselves. Click Specialized Caseload Resources to see free legal resources.

What if I my phone number or address changes?

If your phone number or address changes, call OAH as soon as possible at 800-583-8271. You should also call the Assistant Attorney General.

If you have any further questions, please call 360-407-2700 or 800-583-8271.