General Public Assistance Hearing Information

Do I need a hearing?

You may not. You can resolve some issues without a hearing.

Contact your DSHS representative to see if your case may be resolved without a hearing. You can call DSHS at 877-501-2233.

How can I request a hearing?

In most cases, you can request a hearing by sending a written request to OAH or by calling OAH at 360-407-2700.

If you disagree with a DSHS notice, read it carefully. It has instructions on how to request a hearing.
It is your responsibility to make sure you request a hearing on time. The DSHS notice gives the deadline. If you do not request a hearing on time, you could lose your right to a hearing.

Can I change the hearing date?

Yes. You can change the pre-hearing or hearing date if you have a good reason. Before calling OAH, you should call your DSHS representative listed on your DSHS notice. Do this as soon as possible.

Call OAH to make your request at 360-407-2700. The judge will decide if the date or time will be changed. Unless you are notified the date is changed, you still need to appear and be prepared for your hearing. If the date or time is changed, you will receive another written notice with the new date and time.

What if I need an interpreter?

If you want an interpreter, click Interpreter Request or call OAH as soon as possible. The state will pay for the interpreter. Family members and friends cannot be your interpreter at the hearing.

For a free translation of OAH documents, call 360-407-2700.

What if I have a disability and require an accommodation?

If you need an accommodation, use this Accommodation Request or call OAH as soon as possible at 360-407-2700.

What if my phone number or address changes?

If your phone number or address changes, call OAH as soon as possible at 360-407-2700. OAH can also assist you with contacting DSHS.

What if I want to cancel my hearing?

To cancel your hearing, call your DSHS representative. The representative’s contact information can be found on the OAH Notice of Hearing. You may also send a written statement to DSHS or OAH.

Your written request should include:
• Docket number or client ID
• That you want to cancel the hearing

Please call OAH at 360-407-2700 if you have questions.

What if I missed my hearing?

If you missed your hearing, please call OAH at 360-407-2700 as soon as you realize the date was missed.

You will receive an order dismissing your case. Read that order carefully. It will give you the steps to ask for another hearing.

Can I reapply for benefits?

If your benefits have been denied or terminated, you may reapply at any time. Your hearing with OAH will not affect your new application. Contact your DSHS Representative for more information.

Do I need a lawyer?

No, you do not need a lawyer. Most people represent themselves. You may have an approved representative help you. That person must be over the age of 18 and can be a lawyer, family member, or friend. They cannot work for DSHS, DCYF, HCA, or OAH. The state does not pay for your representative.