How to Prepare for your Licensing Hearing

How can I appeal?

If you disagree with an agency notice, read it carefully. It has instructions on how to appeal. It is your responsibility to follow those instructions. If you do not, you may lose your right to appeal.

If you have any questions about how to request a hearing, please call 360-407-2700 or 800-583-8271.

Can I have a lawyer?

You may have a lawyer, family member or friend represent you as long as they do not work for DSHS. Many people represent themselves. The state will not pay for your lawyer. Click Licensing Resources to see free legal resources.

Can I change the hearing date?

You can change the hearing date if you have a good reason. The judge will decide if the date or time may be changed.

You must call the Agency Representative as soon as possible if you need to change the date or time of your hearing. Their phone number is on the Notice of Prehearing Conference or Notice of Hearing. OAH can help you find the number for the Agency Representative. Call OAH at 360-407-2700 or 800-583-8271.

If your hearing date changes, OAH will send you another Notice of Hearing with the new date and time.

What if I need an interpreter?

If you want an interpreter, click Request Interpreter or call the Office of Administrative Hearings (OAH) as soon as possible. The state will pay for the interpreter. Family members and friends cannot be your interpreter at the hearing.

For a free translation of OAH documents, call (360) 407-2700 or (800) 583-8271.

What if I have a disability and require an accommodation?

If you or any of your witnesses have a disability and require an accommodation to participate, contact OAH as soon as possible. You will need to tell OAH about how the disability effects the ability to participate and describe how we can help by accommodating the need so you can access our facilities and services.

Click Request Accommodation to request an accommodation or call OAH at (360) 407-2700 or (800) 583-8271.

What if my phone number or address changes?

If your phone number or address changes, call OAH as soon as possible at (360) 407-2700 or (800) 583-8271. You should also call the Agency Representative. Their phone number is on the Notice of Prehearing Conference or Notice of Hearing.