How to Prepare
|Department of Children, Youth & Families
Preparation for Hearing
How do I participate?
Read your Notice of Hearing carefully to learn how your hearing will be held. Follow all instructions closely.
Many hearings are held over the phone. You may ask to change the way your hearing is held. Call 360-407-2700 or 800-583-8271.
How do I prepare for a phone hearing?
Your hearing may be held over the phone. Please follow these guidelines for phone hearings:
- Please provide a working phone number to OAH.
- If using a cell phone, make sure the battery is fully charged.
- Try to have good, clear reception with no background noise. If the judge cannot hear you, your case may have to be rescheduled.
- You must be able to receive calls from a blocked caller ID or unknown number.
- Have a pen and paper available for note taking.
- Have all documents with you during the hearing.
- Do not drive during the hearing.
- Do not multitask. The judge will expect your full attention.
How long will my hearing last?
The length of your hearing will depend on the type and complexity of your case.