|What to Expect
|Specialized Caseload Hearings
Prehearing Conference (PHC)
What happens at a PHC?
The prehearing conference is by phone. It usually lasts 30 minutes or less.
The judge will address:
- Hearing date, time and location
- Witnesses and exhibits
- Agree on the issues that will be discussed at the hearing
- Answer questions
At the prehearing you will not:
- Present your case to the judge
- Present any documents
- Need any witnesses
What happens if I do not attend the PHC?
You must participate in the prehearing conference. Your case may be cancelled (dismissed).
How do I participate?
You will receive a Notice of Prehearing Conference. It will have a number to call and a code to use to join the conference.
- If using a cell phone, make sure the battery is fully charged.
- You need to have good, clear reception. The judge must be able to hear you.
- Be in a quiet location.
- Know the dates you and your witnesses are available. The judge will schedule future hearings.
- Do not drive during the hearing.
- Do not multitask. The judge will expect your full attention.
What if I can’t get through on the phone?
If you have trouble calling in hang up and call OAH at 253-476-6890. If the judge does not join the call within ten minutes after the start time, call OAH at 253-476-6890.
If you do not join the call, the judge may dismiss your case.
What is a Prehearing Conference Order?
After the prehearing conference, you will receive a Prehearing Conference Order. The order lists all of the deadlines and the hearing date, time and location.
Sample Prehearing Conference Order