Public Records Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
How do I request records?
You may submit a request online or download a request form to mail or fax.
- If you have a current case with OAH, please call 1-800-843-7712 to request copies of your case documents.
- If your case is closed, OAH may no longer have your case records and documents. Please click here for a list of other agencies’ public records officers.
- If you need other types of records, submit a request online or download a request form to mail or fax.
How long does it take to get the records I requested?
- Within 5 business days, OAH will respond to your request.
- You will receive an acknowledgement letter.
- The letter will contain:
- The records you requested or
- An expected timeline of when the records will be provided
- RCW 42.56.520
What are my options for receiving records?
- Electronically (email or CD)
- Paper copy (mailed or in person pick up)
- Review in person
When can I look at records?
- An appointment must be made to review records in person.
- Appointments are made during normal business hours.
- Please call 1-800-843-7712 or email PublicRecords@oah.wa.gov to schedule an appointment.
- RCW 42.56.090
What is the cost?
- Please review cost information by clicking here.
What if I don’t pick up my documents?
- You must either pick up your documents in person or pay to have them mailed.
- There is a deadline included in your letter.
- If you do not pick up the records by the deadline, OAH will close your request and no further action will be taken.
- You will not receive the requested documents.
- RCW 42.56.120
Are there any records I can’t get?
- Some information may be exempt and cannot be released.
- Click here for a list of OAH exemptions.
- For a complete list of exemptions under the Public Records Act, see RCW 42.56.210 through 480.
- RCW 42.56.210
Can you deny my request for records?
- Records may be exempt and cannot be released.
- We may not be the official custodian of the records. Please click here to see a list of public records officers at other agencies.
- If a request is denied, justification will be sent to you in writing.
- RCW 42.56.520, RCW 42.56.550
Where do I mail my request?
After you download the form, mail it to:
Public Records Officer
Office of Administrative Hearings
PO Box 42488
Olympia, WA 98504-2488
What is the Index?
- The Index lists some of the commonly requested records at OAH.
- If you are interested in a record that does not appear in this list, you may contact the public records officer prior to submitting your request to verify that OAH has the records you want.
- RCW 42.56.070(5)